The PWMMC is a two-year genetic evaluation measuring wool, meat, and growth traits of entrant’s individual wethers.
Over the duration of the PWMMC more than 60,000 individual records to be collected, analyzed, and reported. This information provides both the entrants and the wider Merino sheep industry with tools to accurately determine the genetic merit of a range of traits affecting profitability.
The PWMMC has two components consisting of a Meat Challenge and a Wool Challenge. The Meat Challenge measures commercially relevant carcass and meat traits under feedlot conditions. The Wool Challenge wethers are run on pasture and analyzed over two years.
The PWMMC is convened by Craig Wilson and Associates. Craig Wilson has over 14 years of experience in conducting research and evaluation in eight locations across New South Wales.
The PWMMC is supported by Moses and Son, Sally Martin Consulting, Fletchers International Exports, Conqueror Milling Co, Australian Wool Innovation, and Zoetis.
“Our Company runs large-scale sheep stations across NSW and our involvement in the Merino Challenge assists us to quantify the genetic gains we are making”. Michael Field, Managing Director, TA Field Estate.
“I use the information from the PWMMC to source merino wethers that I buy to put through my feedlot. Comparing the feedlot performance from wether lambs in the Challenge dramatically increases my confidence in achieving excellent growth rates and carcass suitability”. David Lawson, Lockhart, NSW.
- PWMMC 2016 – 2018 Key Dates
- 1st April 2016 – Entries Close
- October 2015 – 2016 – Entrant’s wethers are randomly drafted and tagged.
- 4th April 2016 – Induction shearing commences, Wagga Wagga NSW – teams commence the ‘Meat Challenge’ & ‘Wool Challenge’.
- May 2016 – Processing of Autumn & early Winter drop lambs at Fletcher’s International Exports, Dubbo, NSW. More information to follow.
- July 2016 – Processing of late Winter & Spring drop lambs at Fletcher’s International Exports, Dubbo, NSW. More information to follow.
- September 2016 – Meat Challenge Report released.
- March 2017 – First evaluation shearing, Wagga Wagga, NSW.
- Mid 2017 – Preliminary Wool Report released.
- March 2018 – Final shearing and Annual Dinner, Wagga Wagga, NSW.
- Mid 2018 – Final PWMMC 2016-2018 Report released.
Click on the download button below to view the terms and conditions.
Click on the download button below to view the nomination form.